Friday, July 13, 2012

Homecoming!


Successfully moved home!! But also getting over a bit of sickness :(
This first week at home has been relatively unproductive but very relaxing. It’s great to be back home with my family!! And now I figure that if I’ve got a whole month to be relaxed with no work… it is the perfect time to be productive! Haha Of course, this includes reading, exercise, healthier meals and mainly organizing... to include organizing my future plans! Oh boy!
Healthy Lifestyle Update: I’ve already lost a couple pounds!! Because I’m trying to go easy on my joints, I’m careful and very attentive to how I feel. Thankfully for me, my family home has a pool!! So I’m swimming to alleviate pressure on my joints… But I also credit about 30-45 minutes daily of Dance Central 2 with giving me good cardio :) I’m again trying to shy away from refined carbohydrates and getting back to taking those lovely green coffee bean extract pills. My summer goal is to lose 15 lbs (6.8 kg) and I think it’s totally doable with the track I’m on!!
As far as my stills goes though… I haven’t had any serious joint pain anywhere, occasionally I wake up with stiff elbows or my knee aches for a bit but overall nothing out of the ordinary still’s life! Of course, the rash is still very unpredictable. Sometimes it’s covering a significant portion of my thighs and other times it’s small patches all over, which is slightly frustrating when in this hot Texas summer I’m wearing shorts and short sleeve shirts all the time!!

I leave you today with this “poem” that I found on another blog because it really resonated with me and evidently others with arthritis. I think it’s very relevant considering July is Juvenile Arthritis month!! While I realize arthritis is only one (but significant) component of JA, I think it’s great to recognize those youth representing and expressing themselves and the normalcies they live with everyday. You can find out more information about JA through the Arthritis Foundation website!

Dos and Don’ts for Arthritis written by Arthritis Kids SA

Don’t assume that because I look well I feel well. Looks can be deceiving. Many days I look great but feel terrible.
Don’t tell me you know how I feel because you DON’T. Two people with the same disease can feel totally different.
Don’t tell me ‘’it could be worse’’. Yes, it could be but I don’t need to be reminded all the time.
Don’t be upset that you can’t ease my pain. It won’t do any good two of us being miserable.
Don’t ask me how I feel unless you really want to know. You may hear a lot more, than you are prepared to listen to.
Don’t assume because I did a certain activity yesterday that and I can do it again today. Arthritis is ever changing. Each day is different.
Don’t decide what I am capable of doing. Arthritis does not affect the brain. Allow me to decide what activity I can participate in. There may be times that I make the wrong decisions, and if I do, I will know it soon enough.
Do learn everything you can about the disease. The more you know, the better equipped you will be to know what to expect.
Do realize I am angry and frustrated with the disease, not with you.
Do let me know you are able to help me when I ask. I’ll be grateful.
Do offer me lots of hugs and encouragement.
Do understand why I cancel plans at the last minute. I never know from one day to the next how I will feel. Arthritis is like that.
Do continue to invite me to all the activities. Just because I am not able to bike ride with everyone doesn’t mean I can’t meet you for a picnic at the end of the trail. Please let me decide.

... Also, Happy Friday the 13th ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment