Monday, May 28, 2012

March Madness

Twas the season for basketball... and oak allergies

I had just visited my doctor in the end of February for my 3 month check-up when mid-March pollens during spring break began to take a huge toll on my body. I was taking Benadryl and Sudafed round the clock for itchy eyes and runny, congested nose and of course, my fast-acting inhaler always accompanied me in my purse for any troubled breathing.

My Still's rash
What I didn’t expect was the onslaught of health problems that would follow in addition to the allergy war… My left elbow became increasing immobile, bent at almost a 45 degree angle. I also began to feel my right elbow becoming tighter with less mobility. If I wasn’t already scared enough, the dreaded still’s disease rash appeared on my right thigh in a patch. Sure I have had some difficulties with stiffness, aching and swollenness in the past 5 years but after I started taking Kineret, I hadn’t seen the rash since. I was really worried. This was a full on flare.


After a few trips to the doctor, blood tests and significantly limited mobility in my elbows (aka having difficulty dressing, doing my hair and lifting/moving things) we decided it was best to go back to every day Kineret injections ( I had been only taking them every week) and also deal with these specific swollen joints. So in mid-April I had steroid shots in both my elbows. While that seemed to solve things then… this Memorial Day weekend has proven that it did not. My left elbow has become swollen again and I joked with my family that I might just be Barbie for the rest of my life! And of course, that can’t be too bad, can it?! Haha


I believe the next step, after plenty of time researching, is talk with my doctor about Enbrel. While it was first suggested that I take Humira, I have not found significant positive results to want to subject myself to those shots first. Until I figure it out though, I’ll keep yall posted!

Healthy lifestyle Update: I really am loving the Skinny Rules and have truly felt less hungry and more full!! Crossing my fingers that some weight comes off and I’ll be more prepared for that summer wedding I have to go to!

No comments:

Post a Comment